We live in a world today engulfed with stereotypes
and labels that divide all people into different levels of society. These
labels are often created to develop a caste system that makes a person with
qualities that are different from the majority of the population, seem
inferior. However, there is one subcategory that has directly impacted my
entire life. I was born with a very mild case of a condition known as Sacral
Agenesis. Sacral Agenesis, specific to my circumstance, is nothing more than a
birth defect of the spine. To better explain, my spine simply stopped growing
while I was growing in my mother’s womb.
Consequently, I have used a manual wheelchair since I got my first one
at the age of two. Because of understanding my circumstances at such a young
age, I have been able to shape my life so that I can always strive to be the
exception to every stereotype society could categorize me in. Society’s
stereotypes for people in wheelchairs give an impression to the general public
that I should be lazy, physically unhealthy, old, smelly, and even mentally
unstable. However, the whole reason these labels exist is because society
defines the person by their disability or their irregular quality. I will
always be, “An Exception to the Rule” because my life has never been and will
never be defined by my wheelchair. I will always strive to carry myself with
confidence, to always go the extra mile, to keep myself physically strong, and
to keep myself mentally sound. I have been given a gift. Society and God
himself have given this gift to me, and I will always live my life with an unwavering
determination to succeed. Through my
next series of blogs I hope to express life through my perspective in both a
comical way and an insightful manner. My intention is to signify how and why I am and
always will be “An Exception to the Rule.”


No comments:
Post a Comment