After the start of my second
semester of college, I went through fraternity rush with my fellow first-year
college students. All throughout rush week I battled an internal conflict to
decide what the best decision for my life was. The invisible pressure placed
upon me by the fraternity guys fighting for me, was so overwhelming at times.
On top of everything eighteen credit hours was also looming over my head all
throughout a week that took up every evening that would have normally been used
for keeping up with my studies. However,
by the end of the week the correct decision became apparent to me in a very
bright light.
When Saturday came, I received two
bids out of a possible three. I quickly without reservation signed with Kappa
Alpha Order. Specific to this fraternity, everyone in the house must vote yes
in order to receive a bid meaning that a pledge has already gained 100%
acceptance from his fellow brothers before even signing a bid.
My first
perceptions of fraternities were proven to be very different from the knowledge
I have gained from my personal experiences up to this point. It has turned into
something that requires a lot of work from me and adds more responsibility to
my already hectic life. It was something that developed a brotherhood between
my fellow brothers and me.
Pledge
education is something that can be blown off or it can be taken seriously and
used to improve one’s character. Kappa Alpha Order is a fraternity that centers
on reverence to God, duty, honor, character, and gentlemanly conduct. While
keeping this in mind I developed a mentality that said, “How and what can I
learn about the values of Kappa Alpha to improve the core of my character?” My
personal choices to not drink have not even been tested while with my brothers.
A fraternity accepts everything about their fellow brothers without reservation
or evasion. Joining a fraternity has been
one of the most constructive decisions of my life.


No comments:
Post a Comment